"Speed up My PC!" are they scams or not? Hummmm....
I don't watch much TV, some news programs (followed the elections), some specials, NASCAR races...
About an hour a night, some times during the day if something important is on the News (the advantage of working from home I guess )
There is nothing like misinformation to get my blood pressure up, and these
things target the unsuspecting, why do the TV / Radio networks let these
shysters buy time for ads?
Anyway every now and then I see one of those ads for "Speed
Up My PC!"
Where you get a bunch of actors saying how good the program is, the one that
cracks me up is the "Fix My Pc" where you see the "repair" bar going from 0% to
100% in a couple of seconds... Uh-Huhhh.
And then there are the pop ups when you go to some web sites.
Sheesh they are everywhere (well almost!)
What are they?
Glorified virus and registry scanners! Nothing more.
- Can they move your PF/Swap file? NO!
- Can they change where the temp files are stored? NO!
- Can the set your browser to clear it's history on shut down? NO!
- Can they do the optimization, you can (if you want to)? NO!
- Will they make a backup image of your OS partition? NO!
- Will they set your router to refuse ping requests? NO!
So you pay $39-$95 for what? Something that would take you half an hour or so to do?
If you really want to clean up your registry then buy a reputable registry cleaning program, pay $30-$40 one time
then use it periodically to keep the registry clean.
Troubleshoot, repair, maintain, upgrade & secure...
If you setup your security like this:
- Anit virus
- Anti trojan
- Anti spyware
- Put a
router between your computer(s) and your cable/dsl modem, set the security on the router.
- Buy a registry cleaner
- Optimize your OS
Note: I don't recommend any of those all in one security packages like Panda or Norton
and now AVG. The cost is higher than individual programs.
- From my research those programs score lower than individual programs.
- Individual programs can be customized easier.
- They use less memory over all than a Security Suite.
- They have a higher percentage of cleaning a virus from your computer.
Then those "Make My Computer Faster!!" ads will be nothing more than noise or the scam they really are.
[End of rant.]
RAM is the cheapest and most reliable upgrade to make your computer faster.
You want to really save a lot of money?
If you want to explore more on optimization see the How To section
Self Computer Repair Unleashed 2nd Edition Manual.