Certifications or a degree is important -In the old days not so much, some people are naturally mechanically inclined and could get away with out any.
What do you need to be a computer repair technician?
But today this will not get
you a very good job, you might be able to start a business and be successful
with out any qualifications or degree if
you have the experience. However I would urge you to do the course of study and
receive the accredited schooling degree or qualifications.
This course of study will give you the insight and experience you will need in the field such as:
- Electronic Systems - Solid-state devices - diodes, bipolar and field effect transistors, and operational amplifiers, as well as their use in signal processing applications such as amplification and filtering, discover integrated circuits, and in building and troubleshooting power supplies and operational amplifier applications.
- Hardware and Software - Learning the PC system from software, hardware, and operating system points of view, this such as hardware topics like system boards, processors, memory, power supplies, input/output (I/O) ports, internal adapters, printers, and basic networking devices. Topics such as client/server operating systems and installation, including licensing software applications.
- Programming Concepts - Familiarizes you with programming logic, including basic control structures, modularization, and systems programming. Using high-level languages such as flowchart-based languages, you will use programming concepts to apply technical problems in practical situations.
- Introduction to Networking - Introducing the technology of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and the Internet, this covers networking media, the Open System Interconnection (OSI) model, transmission control protocol/Internet protocol (TCP/IP), an overview of routing and switching, and small network configuration and troubleshooting.
- Introduction to Routing - Introduces router configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting; routing protocols; and use of access control lists (ACLs) as a traffic management tool. Use of command-line-interface (CLI) knowledge and configure local and wide area networks with routers.
If you are going for certification then you could take management and business courses if you plan on going in to business for yourself.
A full college degree will require other courses as outlined by the college catalog for the degree you are striving for.
A couple of other courses that would be of use would be Digital Logic and Boolean Mathematics, along with Digital Design. These extra courses will help with your understanding of the Digital world we are now in.
The 5 Steps to high quality and cheap
DIY Computer Repairs
Get It Today...
If you plan on going on with your studies and become a MCSE or CCSE then higher level programming course will assist you in your studies, a lot of the course study for these
qualifications (and working with the devices) involve some programming.
Once you complete your basic
certifications or degree you will need to contact the major manufactures such as HP, IBM, Dell or others for further hardware
certification for their computers, printers, and other peripherals. These manufactures have courses on how to repair their products.
Note: Most text books are expensive, some students sell their used
text books back to the campus book store. I kept all my text books, sometimes a
problem will elude you, to find the solution you either use your text books or
go to a library to do research. Which is faster your personal library or a drive
to the local library which may or may not have the text book you need.
If you become an employee for a manufacture the courses would of course be free but if you want to be a Certified Technician for the manufacture the courses may cost you. The benefit of being a Certified Technician for these companies out weighs the cost of the certifications. Being certified allows you to buy parts at a lower cost, receive product updates and bulletins for field repairs.
Note: Most institutions and trade schools do not teach DOS, however if
you run into a situation where you can not start the installed Operating System
your only fall back to do some troubleshooting is -- DOS! You may want to
find a book on DOS and study up on it's make up, parameters, and how to use DOS.
This is the smallest, easiest, and fastest Operating System for the PC. You will
find some but not all instructions on using DOS on this web site. Believe me you
will need to know about DOS... Learn it, use it, test your skills with it, it is
Always strive to be the best; you customers will love you for it!